Meet Nicole Basa, MD
Nicole Basa, M.D., earned her bachelor’s degree in molecular and cellular biology with an emphasis in genetics from the University of California, Berkeley, and attended medical school at Rush Medical College in Chicago. After medical school, she completed her general surgery residency at USC and was voted chief resident of the year by the surgical faculty for her outstanding patient care and excellent surgical and teaching skills. Dr. Basa also completed a fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatrics at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) where she also served as a Clinical Instructor in the Department of Surgery.
Dr. Basa has conducted research at both the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and the UCLA Cure: Digestive Diseases Research Center, with a special interest in the control of appetite. She is the author of several papers on bariatric surgery and ghrelin (one of several hormones that controls appetite), and has presented her work at national meetings around the country. Dr. Basa also enjoys teaching and has earned many awards for outstanding teaching from her students at USC and UCLA. Dr. Basa currently serves as an Assistant Clinical Professor in Surgery for the Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine, is Medical Director for Bariatric Surgery at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center and performed the first fully robotic Gastric Bypass ever to be done in Central Texas (from Dallas,The Valley and El Paso). She is the 2nd surgeon to do this in the entire State of Texas.
Dr. Nicole R. Basa is Certified in Breast Ultrasound by the American Society of Breast Surgeons and is the first, and currently the only breast surgeon in Austin and the surrounding areas to be certified in Breast Ultrasound.
Dr. Nicole Basa is Board-Certified in General Surgery by the American Board of Surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Basa is a member of the following associations:
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- The American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association
- Williamson County Medical Society
And has received the following awards:
- 2008-2013 Vitals.com: Patient’s Choice 5 Year Anniversary Award
- 2010-2012 Vital.com: Compassionate Doctor Award
- 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 Hill Country News: Best Surgeon Award
- 2013 Austin Monthly: Top Doctor Award
- July, 2013 Texas Monthly: Super Doctors Rising Star Award
- July, 2014 Texas Monthly: Super Doctors Rising Star Award